2008-04-04

Color Accuracy

This is mostly just a note to let everyone know that my color calibrator arrived! It's an x-rite i1 display 2, which is a long somewhat confusing name, but I think overall the thing's a fairly solid middle of the road offering, and I'm really happy with it. Especially since bhphotovideo sells it for $250, and I got it for $175 from MAC-On-Campus.

I've just got to say, I'm really happy with it. It's not something that I can really use every day, but it really is something that's already made a difference. Looking at my photos is now a better experience, and I think I'll be able to get better output from RA-4 process wet labs that use machines like the Fuji Frontier. (and Target, which uses Kodak's competitor to the Frontier.)

Right now I've got my iMac, which is a bit over a year old, set to remind me to calibrate every two weeks, and my ThinkPad, which is just under six months old, to remind me every three weeks. So even though I can't use it daily, I intend to be using it biweekly at least for the next few years. I don't know if these things ever wear out, but if they don't, then I can't imagine myself really needing to replace it -- although if it does wear out I hope someone lets me know.

No comments: